Thursday, September 3, 2015

19 July 2015: 7am: THREE DOGS DOWN, TWO TO GO:


7am: THREE DOGS DOWN, TWO TO GO: I am never sure - when myBalinese security report to me, after a brief absence - whether two puppies really died vomiting blood in the garage, or whether the Balinese just like saying 'vomiting blood'. Bobbie, the mainstay of these Mertasari missions, is AWOL too. Just Susi and Jacky left. 
I guess that when I left for India last Tuesday, followed shortly by the departure of Amir and Awi, they felt deserted. Did Made Latih come in to feed them? Probably not. They perished from broken hearts and neglect: the odd beef BBQ flavoured Chitato gleaned from security just not enough. But my old mate Lenny has just turned up: he was co-founder, with me and Ketut Marsa, of Swastika Kebun in 1979, and co-founder with the late Brent Hesslyn of UD Jenggala, in 1982. Lenny is now reduced to fishing for sustenance, Po", but he is happy. The Sunday hordes are arriving, the sunari wind chimes are howling. I'm going home.